Sunday, June 15, 2008

On the Table

I can't claim this photo as my own. It comes from a new magazine I discovered recently, Mindfood (incidentally, it was this magazine that provided the recipe for last weekend's citrus delicious). This weekend, though, Mr M and I attempted to create our own version of Apple Cake with (or in our cast without) Apple Wafers. We enjoy baking together and I'm trying to let us become more adventurous with our shared cooking. When we decide to bake a cake, Mr M runs to the bathroom and chooses a towel to spread out on the kitchen floor. Then he finds the big red mixing bowl in the cupboard and the silver measuring cups and is ready to go. He is slowly mastering the art of stirring so all the flour is blended in, has nearly got his head around the idea of taking turns with the stirring, and has conquered the art of the taste test. Sad to say, though, that on this occasion the apple cake looked better than it tasted. Mr M wasn't impressed at all - he took a couple of bites and returned to playing. Nor has he asked for another slice since.

Have you heard of Michael Pollan? It seems to me that he is everywhere at the moment. On the radio, on blogs, in the gardening pages and book pages of the weekend newspapers. He has just published a book called In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto, which opens with the following seven words:

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

From the little I have read and heard, his central premise seems to be that you shouldn't eat anything that wasn't available to your grandmother to eat. This rules out diet soft drinks and "fast food". It also rules out the breakfast cereal that is my daily staple and most of the things that come in packets and cans. But I'm intrigued by the thesis and by the number of times his name has come up in the past fortnight so I suspect I shall be buying his book soon. I'll keep you posted.