Monday, March 31, 2008

Sunday Night Television

I fear I'm about to become a Sunday night television junkie. I'm already completely addicted to Robin Hood. Now I think I might be hooked on East of Everything. Did you watch it? What did you think?

Robin Hood is deliciously old-fashioned - even if it does have a much-discussed 'modern sensibility'. But it reminds me of the television I used to watch. Self-contained episodes. Gorgeous boys. A feisty woman (or, in this case, two). This was in the days before the mini-series and reality television. It's the formula that worked for shows like Eight is Enough, Valley of the Giants, The Hardy Boys. Even The Flying Doctors. And then there was Magnum PI. Ah, it takes me back. And let's face it: the men in Robin Hood are all gorgeous. Even the wicked ones.

East of Everything has some similar elements. Good-looking men, for one. A couple of feisty women. Plus it would seem to be well-written and the location is blissfully and beautifully Australian. The first episode wasn't at all creaky. Oh, okay, yes, the plot does seem a bit contrived. I mean, three months to re-open the resort that hasn't had a booking for years? Where will the two brothers find the money for that? But unlike the almost-dreadful Emerald Falls which was on last weekend, East of Everything has a lot of appeal. I'm already intrigued. I do want to know what will happen to Lizzie and Bev in particular. Their stories seem to hint at some originality, even if Art feels like the kind of television character we've met before.

So don't ask me to do anything on a Sunday night for the next few weeks. I have a date with the tv set. It makes such a change from watching the only other highlights of my tv week: The Collectors and Stuff (yes, there is a theme there). Oh, and ABC Kids. I love ABC Kids. Children's television is so much more imaginative than the adult stuff. But don't get me started.